Unless you're trying to go uphill on sheer ice, any bike will get you by if you don't expect to go very fast and don't mind the wheel slipping once in a while.>>1427126
Walk into a nice actual bike shop (not walmart), try out some different shit and buy what you like and can afford and you'll be fine. Anything new and under $500 is probably crap, and Real Cyclists™will probably laugh at anything that cost less than $800 or so. If you don't mind buying used you'll save a lot since bikes depreciate like expired milk.
- Road bikes are faster but less comfortable and suck off of pavement
- Gravel bikes are similar but a little squishier and better offroad
- Hybrids are purely for npc casuals
- Mountain bikes are softer but slower and probably overkill unless you're actually going out in the wilderness somewhere.
- Fat bikes are max comfy, but you may as well walk for how slow they are.
- Ebikes are if you want people to think you're athletic while actually riding a less-comfortable scooter.
- Recumbents are fastest of all but are illegal to use if you're under 50 and not dressed head to toe in neon yellow.