Threads by latest replies - Page 10


News

No.341989 ViewReplyOriginalReport
The altercation involving 51-year-old David Steven Bell and the 11-year-old victim was captured on cellphone video around 7pm Saturday outside the Asheville Mall in North Carolina.
https://youtu.be/-sf1BD9sGbA [ORIGINAL VIDEO]
https://www.google.ru/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6592519/amp/Middle-aged-white-man-punches-black-girl-face-outside-mall.html
[NEWS]
He just protected his family. The provocation from the side of the youngsters is clearly visible on the video.
I urge all those who are not indifferent to the deanonymization of girls and to the calls to drop the charges in the address of the man.
8 posts omitted

US Senator Lindsey Graham: US-Saudi ties can't move until Crown Prince MBS is dealt with

No.343099 ViewReplyOriginalReport
https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2019/01/lindsey-graham-saudi-ties-move-mbs-dealt-190119084608281.html

https://punchng.com/khashoggi-murder-us-senator-says-saudi-crown-prince-must-be-dealt-with/

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-saudi-khashoggi-usa/senator-graham-says-u-s-saudi-cannot-move-on-until-prince-dealt-with-idUSKCN1PD06V

ANKARA (Reuters) - Republican U.S. Senator Lindsey Graham said on Saturday the relationship between the United States and Saudi Arabia cannot move forward until Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman is “dealt with”, without being more specific.

Speaking in Ankara a day after meeting with Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan, Graham also said Congress will reintroduce sanctions against those involved in the killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

“The relationship between the U.S. and Saudi Arabia cannot move forward until Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman is dealt with,” Graham said.

Khashoggi was a prominent Saudi journalist and U.S. resident who wrote opinion columns for the Washington Post. He was killed in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul in October.

Riyadh initially denied knowledge of Khashoggi’s disappearance, then offered contradictory explanations, including that he was killed in a rogue operation.

Saudi officials have said the crown prince knew nothing of the killing. Saudi Arabia said last year that 21 Saudis were taken into custody in relation to the Khashoggi case, 11 of whom have been indicted and referred to trial.

A second Saudi Arabian rapist escapes Canada with Saudi government help

No.342573 ViewReplyOriginalReport
https://torontosun.com/news/national/saudi-embassy-helped-accused-rapist-flee-canada/

Saudi embassy helped accused rapist flee Canada
BY BRAD HUNTER

And another one’s gone.

A Saudi Arabian man who failed to show for his trial on two counts of sex assault and one of sexual interference in Halifax has skipped town.

Taher Ali Al-Saba — who was in the country learning English — is just the latest Saudi national to skip facing the music, allegedly with the help of his country’s diplomats.

The embassy informed the RCMP’s immigration and passport section the then 19-year-old is now back home.

That was even though Halifax cops held his passport.

So far, the Saudi embassy is refusing to answer how he got a new passport before the trial to escape justice.

“They refused to cooperate with us in terms of telling us how that happened,” Crown attorney Catherine Cogswell told The Chronicle Herald, who broke the story.


A decade ago, Mohammed Zuraibi Alzoabi paid $37,500 cash bail in Cape Breton (thanks Saudi embassy) to be released from custody as he awaited two trials on sexual assault, assault, forcible confinement, uttering threats, criminal harassment, dangerous driving and assault with a weapon.

Cops held his passport in that instance as well.

Both men have now been placed on Interpol’s watch list.

And it isn’t just in Canada.

In Oregon, The Oregonian newspaper discovered five cases where Saudi nationals had fled before being tried.
2 posts omitted

Saudi who raped American girl was helped by the Saudi government to flee America

No.339405 ViewReplyOriginalReport
https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2019/01/gone-more-cases-emerge-of-saudi-students-vanishing-while-facing-oregon-charges.html

Gone: More cases emerge of Saudi students vanishing while facing Oregon charges

By Shane Dixon Kavanaugh | The Oregonian/OregonLive

In December 2014, a university student from Saudi Arabia was arrested in Monmouth and accused of raping a classmate after giving her marijuana and shots of Jack Daniel’s.

Bail was set at a half-million dollars. The judge ordered the student, Abdulaziz Al Duways, to turn over his passport to the private defense lawyer hired to represent him, according to court records and the Polk County District Attorney’s Office.

A few days later, an official from the Royal Consulate General of Saudi Arabia in Los Angeles posted bail.

Al Duways disappeared.

The case preceded a similar one recently reported by The Oregonian/OregonLive involving Abdulrahman Sameer Noorah. The Portland Community College student jumped bail in the hit-and-run death of a 15-year-old Portland girl and apparently fled with the Saudi Arabian government’s help, law enforcement officials said.

But the two disappearances aren’t the only ones involving Saudi students facing serious criminal charges in Oregon.

The five cases share many similarities:

- All were young men studying at a public college or university in Oregon with assistance from the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia at the time of their arrest.

- In four of the cases, the Saudi government stepped in to help, posting large sums of money for bail and possibly underwriting legal fees.

- Three surrendered their passports.

- All disappeared while facing charges or jail time.

- The same Oregon defense attorney, Ginger Mooney, was hired to represent the four most recent suspects.

- Little is known of the whereabouts of the five, though some have been traced back to Saudi Arabia.
15 posts omitted

Recent Saudi rapist escape recalls 2007 case where Saudi raped twin babies in 2007

No.342954 ViewReplyOriginalReport
https://globalnews.ca/news/4864219/alzoabi-sexual-assault-charge/

Federal officials are looking at how a Saudi man living in Nova Scotia may have fled Canada while facing sexual assault charges, along with other charges and unpaid fines. As Ross Lord reports, it's suspected the Saudi embassy in Canada may have played a role, and helped Mohammed Zuraibi Alzoabi slip through the net.

At Cape Breton University, where more than 1,000 international students have arrived to study, it’s the alleged departure of one student that has authorities puzzled.

Mohammed Zuraibi Alzoabi, a 28-year-old student from Saudi Arabia, graduated with a business degree in 2017. But, not before running into a lot of trouble.

He reportedly piled up $68,000 in motor vehicle violations, and had his cars repeatedly impounded.

“He’d come in, leave my door open when he’d walk in here,” said Jessica Hines, who manages a Sydney, N.S. towing company.

“He’d come in snapping his fingers at me, yelling, cursing.”

Alzoabi is also charged with dangerous driving and assaulting a man with a car.

In an unrelated case, he’s charged with assaulting, sexual assaulting and forcibly confining a woman.

But before he could be brought to trial, Alzoabi is alleged to have disappeared.

According to court documents, his lawyer says Alzoabi “fled the country some time ago,” even though he’d handed over his passport in order to receive bail.

The Saudi kingdom posted a large portion of Alzoabi’s bail.

Halifax immigration lawyer Lee Cohen suspects Saudi Arabia helped him skip the country, as happened with one of his clients two months ago.

The manoeuvre is thought to have been used in several other cases in North America, including a Saudi man charged with sexually assaulting eight-year-old Nova Scotia twins in 2007.

Saudi Arabian sexual assaulter escapes from Canada with help from the Saudi government

No.339535 ViewReplyOriginalReport
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/01/canada-saudi-accused-sexual-assault-disappears-trial-190113100702857.html

NEWS /SAUDI ARABIA
Canada: Saudi accused of sexual assault disappears before trial

Authorities fear Mohammed Zuraibi al-Zoabi, 28, may have left the country with help from the Saudi embassy.

Canadian authorities are searching for a Saudi citizen accused of sexual assault after he failed to show up for a court hearing in the Canadian city of Sydney, Nova Scotia, the local Chronicle Herald newspaper said.

Mohammed Zuraibi al-Zoabi, a student at Cape Breton University, faces charges of sexual assault, assault, forcible confinement, uttering threats, criminal harassment, dangerous driving and assault with a weapon (a vehicle) in separate trials related to two incidents that occurred in Sydney between 2016 and 2017.

Local police told the Chronicle Herald that al-Zoabi's passport was given as collateral when the 28-year-old student posted his $37,500 bail in cash, a hefty sum provided by the Saudi Arabian embassy.

"It should be impossible (for him to leave the country or enter without a passport) unless Saudi Arabia furnished him with a Saudi travel document," Lee Cohen, a Halifax-based immigration lawyer, told the Chronicle Herald.

"They have done this before."

Asked by the paper whether he was still in Canada, al-Zoabi said "probably not … I can't tell you that", adding that he wouldn't come back for the trial because he feared they might be "unfair".

"I can't respect that," he said of the warrant and charges. "Everybody's against me just because I'm a (racial expletive) and foreign student despite the fact that we boosted so much money to that island of Canada."

The Saudi Arabian embassy did not respond to a Chronicle Herald request for comment on al-Zoabi.

Jessica Hines, the manager of Kevin's Towing in Sydney, Cape Breton, described al-Zoabi as "rude, obnoxious and thought he was above women and the rules"
14 posts omitted

24 year old Saudi Arabian woman Salwa fled abuse and the male guardianship system to Canada

No.339551 ViewReplyOriginalReport
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-46818237

Women's rights in Saudi Arabia: 'I escaped to seek a better life'
13 January 2019 Middle East

Salwa, 24, ran away from her family eight months ago and claimed asylum in Canada
Presentational white space
It's a dramatic story that has brought the restrictions faced by women in Saudi Arabia back into the spotlight.

Rahaf Mohammed al-Qunun, 18, garnered global attention last week after she locked herself into her hotel room and refused to fly back home.

She was fleeing her family in Saudi Arabia and, after instigating a high-profile Twitter campaign, was granted asylum in Canada.

As the debate about women's rights in the country continues, another young woman who fled Saudi Arabia for Canada has told her story to the BBC.

Salwa, 24, ran away with her 19-year-old sister eight months ago and now lives in Montreal. This, in her own words, is her story.

Short presentational grey line
The preparation

We had been planning to leave for roughly six years, but we needed a passport and a national ID card to do so.

I needed the consent of my guardian to get these documents. (Women in Saudi Arabia are required to obtain a male relative's approval for many things).

Fortunately, I had a national ID card already because my family agreed to give me one while I was studying at university.

I also had a passport because I needed one to sit an English language exam two years ago.

But my family took it away from me. Somehow, I needed to get it back.


The male guardianship system, explained
Woman's refugee campaign sparks debate
How Twitter saved a Saudi woman
I stole the keys to my brother's house and then went to the store to get a copy of them cut. I couldn't leave the house without their consent, but I sneaked out while they were sleeping.

It was very risky because if I had been caught then they would have hurt me.
13 posts omitted

Saudi teen who left Islam and granted asylum in Canada drinks wine

No.342586 ViewReplyOriginalReport
https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/world/2019/01/saudi-teen-granted-asylum-in-canada-drinks-wine-eats-bacon-in-snapchat-images.html

Rahaf Mohammed, the Saudi teen who was granted asylum in Canada last weekend, has posted photos of herself enjoying a glass of wine, a cigarette, and bacon on Snapchat.

Ms Mohammed, 18, was granted asylum after fleeing Saudi Arabia, where she feared being killed after being disowned by her family for not conforming to the country's strict rules.

Saudi teen who renounced Islam inspires women back home

The teen has shared photos on Snapchat celebrating her new life since being in Canada.

Earlier this week Ms Mohammed posted a photo of her breakfast to the social media platform with the caption "Omg bacon," which is controversial due to the Muslim religion's ban on consuming pork products.

Two photos posted more recently are of a glass of red wine and a lit cigarette.

Alcohol is banned completely in Saudi Arabia. The penalty for bringing it into the country or being caught with it can be sent to prison.

Another photo showed a Starbucks coffee cup sitting on Ms Mohammed's lap, her legs seem to be bare from the knees down in a dress that would have broken dress code rules in Saudi Arabia.

She captioned a video of herself walking a dog with "feeling free".
She posted to her personal Twitter account on Saturday thanking those who supported her journey out of Saudi Arabia.
"I would like to thank you people for supporting me and saving my life.
"Truly I have never dreamed of this love and support, you are the spark that motivates me to be a better person."
Ms Mohammed arrived in Canada on Sunday from Thailand, where she had locked herself in an airport hotel room resisting deportation till she was granted asylum to Canada on Saturday.
She addressed media in Canada following her arrival, and said that her goal is to help to support the freedom of more women like herself.
"I will work in support of freedom for women around the world.
16 posts omitted

Ex-Muslim Saudi teen who fled to Canada eats bacon

No.341635 ViewReplyOriginalReport
https://www.canoe.com/news/national/saudi-teen-starbucks-bacon-eggs-and-bare-legs/wcm/32dc8b16-96dd-47ea-96b7-ed49b95f9467/

Saudi teen: Starbucks, bacon, eggs and bare legs

Rahaf Mohammed tasted a slice of her new life in Canada by trying bacon for the first time, downing a Starbucks coffee and showing her bare legs.

The Saudi teen who was fleeing her abusive family was granted asylum last week following a desperate bid to escape the oppressive life that was ahead of her.

Mohammed, 18, claimed she feared for her life.


She tried bacon for the first time! SNAPCHAT
But now, all that’s changed.

The feisty teen took to Snapchat to show vignettes of her new life.

One was a photo of her bacon and egg breakfast — “omg bacon” — festooned with a Canadian flag emoji, the other a cup of Starbucks coffee sitting on her bare legs.


Purchased winter clothes! SNAPCHAT
She also shared a picture of her morning coffee from Starbucks, with her knee-length grey wool dress that shows off her bare legs.

Mohammed arrived in Toronto last weekend and is getting acclimatized to life in the Great White North, buying winter clothes, getting a health card, accommodation and sorting out phone service.


Bared her legs at Starbucks. SNAPCHAT
More ominously, she has a bodyguard following threats to her safety.

Costi Immigrant Services executive director Mario Calla said the courageous teen has received multiple threats online.

“She sees these threats. She has left Islam and she basically has broken away from her family, and that scares her,” Costi said.

Next stop? Learning English.
30 posts omitted

Sunni Saudi Arabia to possibly sentence female Shia human rights activist to death

No.338039 ViewReplyOriginalReport
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israa_al-Ghomgham

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shia_Islam_in_Saudi_Arabia#Restrictions_and_persecutions

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/israa-al-ghomgham-saudi-arabia-court-female-activist-possible-death-penalty/

Female human rights activist Israa al-Ghomgham could be the first woman even sentenced to death for nonviolent protest in Saudi Arabia on Sunday. It's a case human rights lawyers say "may well constitute multiple violations of international human rights law."
Al-Ghomgham is one of six Saudi human rights defenders standing trial at the country's infamous Specialized Criminal Court. Five of them are facing possible death sentences. The court has a history of unfair trials resulting in executions.

An October 28 hearing for al-Ghomgham was canceled without explanation and not rescheduled. While similar hearings are often postponed, rights groups called the handling of al-Ghomgham's case "unusual" at the time, and said it could be due to increased scrutiny of the kingdom after the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
Israa al-Ghomgham's case

Al-Ghomgham has been in detention since 2015, when she was arrested for activism related to fighting discrimination against Saudi Arabia's Shiite Muslim minority.
She is charged with things including chanting, "we shall not be humiliated," and "we demand penalties for those who fired bullets," according to a brief on the case written by international human rights lawyer Oliver Windridge, which was circulated by the American Bar Association Center for Human Rights on Friday.
Saudi Arabia's Specialized Criminal Court was created to hear terrorism cases, but Windridge told CBS News, "its focus appears to have moved from terrorist suspects to human rights defenders and anti-government protesters."
28 posts omitted