[33 / 1 / ?]

Trump and GOP leaders are melting down over the Don Jr. subpoena

No.395978 ViewReplyOriginalReport
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/443026-trump-jr-subpoena-sparks-internal-gop-battle

Senate Intelligence Committee Chairman Richard Burr’s surprise decision to subpoena Donald Trump Jr. has set off an internal fight among Senate Republicans, some of whom are now pressing the North Carolina Republican to back off the request.

These Republicans argue that Trump Jr., the president’s eldest son, has spent enough time testifying before Congress and that the delivery of special counsel Robert Mueller’s report means it is time to end the investigations of the last presidential election.

“There’s no need for another subpoena for @DonaldJTrumpJr It’s time to move on & focus on issues Americans care about,” Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) tweeted Thursday.

He was one of several Republicans in the House and Senate who was critical of the decision to subpoena Trump Jr., which Burr made in consultation with his panel’s ranking member, Sen. Mark Warner (D-Va.).

President Trump said Thursday that he was “very surprised” by the subpoena, especially after Burr announced earlier that his panel had found no evidence of collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia.

“Frankly for my son, after being exonerated, to now get a subpoena to go again and speak again after close to 20 hours of telling everybody that would listen about a nothing meeting, yeah I’m surprised,” Trump told reporters at the White House.

“I was very surprised. I saw Richard Burr saying there was no collusion two or three weeks ago,” Trump added.

Because of Burr’s comments in February to CBS News saying the panel did not “have anything that would suggest there was collusion by the Trump campaign and Russia,” Trump and his advisers were caught off guard by the Trump Jr. news.

White House acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney told CBS News in an interview Wednesday that he thought it “bad form” that he did not get a heads-up before the subpoena was issued.