[20 / 1 / ?]

Joe Biden in Philly: If America wants a president to ‘spew hatred,’ they already have that

No.399596 ViewReplyOriginalReport
Joe Biden plans to directly challenge President Donald Trump as a destructive, divisive force, and to offer himself as an antidote in his speech scheduled for Saturday afternoon in Philadelphia.

“If the American people want a president to add to our division, to lead with a clenched fist, closed hand and a hard heart, to demonize the opponents and spew hatred – they don’t need me. They already have a president who does just that," Biden plans to say, according to excerpts released by his campaign Saturday morning. "I am running to offer our country – Democrats, Republicans and independents – a different path.”

Biden is scheduled to speak at a 1 p.m. rally at Eakins Oval, capping a three-week opening campaign swing that has seen him expand his lead over the rest of the crowded Democratic field. While many of his rivals have spent months introducing themselves or laying out policy prescriptions, the former vice president, already nearly universally known, has worked to establish himself as the Democrat with the stature to counter Trump, whom he has painted as an existential threat to the country’s character.

“Some say Democrats don’t want to hear about unity. That they are angry – and the angrier you are the better,” Biden plans to say Saturday. “Well, I don’t believe it. I believe Democrats want to unify this nation.”

Biden has called this election a fight “for the soul” of the country.

Pennsylvania’s Republican chairman, Val DiGiorgio, said that as Biden campaigns, voters, especially those in the Keystone State, will see that the former vice president offers no “meaningful success and no real vision for the future.”

https://www.philly.com/politics/joe-biden-rally-philadelphia-donald-trump-presidential-election-20190518.html