[37 / 1 / ?]

Man requests 'trial by combat' with Japanese swords to settle custody battle with ex-wife

No.531773 ViewReplyOriginalReport
For once, it's not Florida.

>DES MOINES, Iowa – A Kansas man asked an Iowa court to grant his motion for trial by combat, so he can meet his ex-wife and her attorney "on the field of battle where (he) will rend their souls from their corporal bodies."

>David Ostrom, 40, of Paola, Kansas, claims in court documents that his ex-wife, Bridgette Ostrom, 38, "destroyed (him) legally."

>He asked the Iowa District Court in Shelby County to give him 12 weeks' "lead time" to source or forge katana and wakizashi swords, according to the Carroll Times Herald.

>"To this day, trial by combat has never been explicitly banned or restricted as a right in these United States," Ostrom argued in court records, saying it was used "as recently as 1818 in British Court."

>Monday, Ostrom told the Des Moines Register he got the idea after learning about a case in 2016 in which New York Supreme Court Justice Philip Minardo acknowledged that duels had not been abolished.

>Ostrom said the motion stemmed from his frustrations with his ex-wife's attorney, Matthew Hudson.

>"I think I've met Mr. Hudson's absurdity with my own absurdity," he said.

>Ostrom said his ex-wife can choose her attorney as a "champion," or stand-in fighter.

>Hudson filed a resistance to the trial-by-combat motion by first correcting Ostrom's spelling.

- https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/4464045002

I wish we had more news like this.