Previous bread >>1799222 http://archive.vn/fX9zS
Hello fellow /seamen/, we've had quite a few sailing threads by now and I thought it would be great to maintain the momentum by formalizing the OP a bit. Firstly, are we all okay with "/seamen/"?
Some anons in the previous thread recommended that we start a more inclusive "water sports general" instead (e.g. scuba, kayaking, etc.), but since those topics already have their own "general" thread, I didn't include any info for them in the OP. What do you think?
1. To see full list of resources (cannot include in OP due to post field character limit) (non-editable): <https://ghostbin.co/paste/7wfzk>
1. OP collab (editable, feel free to contribute): <https://ghostbin.co/paste/d5bdg>
1. Good anon quotes: <https://ghostbin.co/paste/ac6hu>
1. Simply contact your nearest yacht club and volunteer for menial labor like being rail-meat. Remember to be nice and humble.
1. Read (see resources below).
1. Never forget to have fun!
**Foundational knowledge and books:**
1. COLREGs: <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Regulations_for_Preventing_Collisions_at_Sea>
1. Marine VHF radio: <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_VHF_radio>
1. Books by Tom Cunliffe: <https://www.tomcunliffe.com/product-category/books/>
1. Crossing international waters: >>1814803
1. By Capn Fatty Goodlander: *Buy, Outfit, Sail: How To Inexpensively and Safely Buy, Outfit, and Sail a Small Vessel Around the World*
PS: Formatting of OP inspired by "/ohm/ - electronics general" over on /diy/.