[13 / 1 / ?]

Land Navigation. Any Navigation anons?

No.1820180 ViewReplyOriginalReport
I've recently started trying to learn Land Navigation with a Map and Compass, and for whatever reason the information on the actual steps needed in order to get from point a to point be are convoluted and blurry.

I understand map scales, map legends, distance on a map, Grid North vs True North vs Magnetic North Declination. I got all that. But what is very difficult to ascertain is what steps to take and when to take them.

I've watched videos, I read some about and it seems like these people purposefully try to make it complicated so that it remains some sort of esoteric skill.

What do I do first?
>Orient the map
>See which way is North
>Adjust the Declination on my Compass
? It's been very unclear what exact steps to take, it's always some "Wilderness Expert" throwing around terms left and right, and what they will do is just brush over the word "Declination" as if anyone watches already knows what that is or even how to account for it.

What if I'm referencing my map and I realize that I have no clue where I am, and that there really are no identifying terrain features where I am, then what?

Are there any actual GOOD videos or tutorials or links someone can provide me? Thanks, appreciate it.