[26 / 2 / ?]

AI in photography - the death of portraiture, manual digital processing? (and perhaps others)

No.3747138 ViewReplyOriginalReport
I consider myself an artist, and while photography isn't much of an art to me as much as it is a way to get a new perspective and give myself motivation for discovery, I've been fearing AI a lot lately.
Look at companies like Skylum, they're literally launching a program that edits photos for you with very little input from you. How long until all instagram thots have to do is input their face into a program and it generates a set of portraits where they look like the divas they pretend to be? How long until editing finally dies as an AI will be able to give pristine results in a fraction of a second?
I make music too, but after a lot of thinking, I fear for that less. Music has always been poetic for me and I appreciate music with meaning a lot. I suppose what will happen once machines figure out how to produce coherent songs, the community will split, normfags who have never even read the lyrics to a song because they couldn't care less as long as they jam to it will listen to whatever the AI tailors to their taste, the other half will go into their corner where they will continue music as mean of relaying emotion that can only be felt by other humans. At least until AI develops a theory of mind and then lord help us all.
But for photography it's different, most people from my experience just see photography as a convenient way to create pictures that you can look at and be like "that looks nice", not as a means of creating something to immerse yourself in and gaze into your soul like some music. At least if we exclude disciplines that serve a documentary purpose such as street photography.
Let's be honest here, those of you who actually make a living with photography beware, I think Skylum and others are about to take your job in a decade tops.