The problem also with Magic is that it's core players, the ones that make WoTC the most money, the ones that showed up in droves to the ill-fated HasCon or any GP. They are too OCD to care about anything else related to the brand.
- Magic tried novels with they found a bit of sales and then died
- Magic tried comics, they died (And how they are trying again with the same results)
- Magic tried video games (not online or Arena, console titles) they didn't sell well
- Magic tried action figures, no one cared
- Magic tried Pop Vinyls and they sold as well as any super low selling Pop Vinyl that ends up on clearance at Gamestop
- Magic tried miniatures, no one bought them
- Magic tried board games, sales were super low
Magic players just want Magic, they don't want anything else.
They don't want an Urza figure or a Jace keychain