Board statistics disabled indefinitely.

[92 / 21 / ?]

Flawed Masterpieces

No.679345 ViewReplyOriginalReport
What strategy games hold a special place in your heart despite being flawed enough you refuse to recommend them to people?
For me, it's Mordheim. I fucking love it, but the AI warbands just scaling off you rather than being persistent is a real killer imo, even moreso than the shit performance, clunky interface, fucky AI and grind. Especially later in a warband's lifespan, when your boys have enough injuries that the AI tends to have multiple people a match standing around repeatedly failing stupidity checks because of randomly assigned brain damage.
By contrast, the best times I've had with it are when I'm in a 1v1 clash where we just do back-to-back-to-back missions until one of us can't afford their warband anymore. There's nothing sweeter than slowly forcing your mate to overstretch their economy so even if they're winning battles, they lose the war. Spiriting away their good weapons, investing practically no money in gear for your goons and just mobbing one of their dudes that he's invested in, match after match until they don't get back up again.
There's a sweet spot in the early mid-game where your lads have 1 or 2 tricks each but they're very bad at everything outside their main role, so you're constantly having to manouevre and reposition for best effect and I just find it so much fun to juggle.

Honourable mention to Battle Brothers and Darkest Dungeon, which I think prioritise the *experience* to the detriment of a fun game but that I still play the fuck out of.